2012 FXS103 SOFTAIL BLACKLINE Two Tone Big Blue Pearl & Vivid black with Pinstripe. Rigid-mounted, counter-balanced Twin Cam 103B™ V-Twin engine with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI) and 6-Speed Cruise Drive Transmission. The Blackline is a Harley-Davidson Softail pared to the bone with visual elements of the original bobber movement combined with a raw style embraced by today’s young bike builders. The rear fender is bobbed high-and-tight over a slim, 144 mm tire that emphasizes an authentic hardtail profile. The Softail rear suspension mimics the clean lines of a vintage hardtail frame but offers the comfort of a modern suspension that is hidden under the chassis. The rider hugs the frame on the lowest two-up seat offered by Harley-Davidson, while reaching high for the new Split Drag handlebar. The rigid powertrain allows tight packaging of the engine and frame to create a solid connection between the rider and the power that moves the Blackline.
Parts total $1037
Labor total $332
Total added value $1369
NEW FOR 2012 Rigid-mounted, counter-balanced Twin Cam 103B™ V-Twin engine with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
– Powertrain styling with gloss black powdercoat finish on the rocker box covers, crankcase, outer primary cover, and transmission side cover. The cylinders are silver powdercoat with machined highlights. The derby cover and timing covers are chromed.
– Round air cleaner cover in brilliant chrome
– Black Denim powdercoat frame and swingarm.
– Profile Laced aluminum wheels with black anodized rims
– Wide FX front end with black powdercoat triple clamps and black painted fork lowers.
– Split Drag™ internally-wired handlebar mounts directly to the top triple clamp
– Asymmetric five-gallon Softail® fuel tank is clean on the left side, with low-profile fuel fill on the right. Die cast “Blackline” trim panel flowing down the center of the tank covers the fuel pump hardware.
– Analog speedometer on a triple-clamp mount that also holds indicator lights. LCD screen on the speedometer includes low-fuel warning and “miles to empty” display function.
– Bobbed rear fender with combination stop/turn/tail lights in black housings, and a new composite license plate holder and light module that mounts on the lower edge of the fender.
– Raw forged rear fender supports are finished in Black Denim powdercoat
– One-piece, two-up seat and passenger pillion. Laden rider seat height is 24 inches, the lowest two-up seat offered by Harley-Davidson.
– 5.75-inch diameter headlamp in gloss black shell
– Polished forward foot controls.
– Over/under chrome shotgun exhaust
6-speed Cruise Drive® transmission
– Horseshoe oil tank
Engine Air-cooled, Twin Cam 103BTM
Valves Pushrod-operated, overhead valves with hydraulic, self-adjusting lifters; two valves per cylinder
Bore x Stroke 3.875 in. x 4.38 in. (98.4 mm x 111.1 mm)
Displacement 103 cu. in. (1690 cc)
Compression Ratio 9.6:1
Fuel System3 Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
Air Cleaner Paper, washable
Lubrication System Pressurized, dry-sump
Primary Drive Chain, 34/46 ratio
Final Drive Belt, 32/66 ratio
Clutch Multi-plate, wet
Transmission 6-Speed Cruise Drive®
Gear Ratios (overall): U.S.
– 1st 9.311
– 2nd 6.454
– 3rd 4.793
– 4th 3.882
– 5th 3.307
– 6th 2.79
Frame Mild steel tubular frame; rectangular section backbone; stamped, cast, and forged junctions; forged fender supports; MIG welded
Swingarm Mild steel, round tube sections, forged junctions; MIG welded
Front Forks 41.3 mm telescopic
Rear Shocks Hidden, horizontal-mounted, coil-over
Wheels4: Black Anodized Aluminum Profile Laced
– Front 21 in. x 2.15 in. (533 mm x 55 mm)
– Rear 16 in. x 3 in. (406 mm x 76 mm)
– Caliper Type 4-piston front and 2-piston rear
– Rotor Type (diameter x width): Patented, uniform expansion rotors
– Front 11.5 in. x .2 in. (292 mm x 5.1 mm)
– Rear 11.5 in. x .23 in. (292mm x 5.8 mm)
– Anti-lock Braking System: Available
– Front Wheel 5.6 in. (143 mm)
– Rear Wheel 3.6 in. (91 mm)
Engine Torque5 (per J1349):
– North America 98.7 ft. lbs. @ 3250 RPM (134 Nm @ 3250 RPM)
Lean Angle (per J1168):
– Right 24.4°
– Left 25.9°
Fuel Economy6 (EPA urban/highway test) 42 mpg (5.6 L/100 km)
Length 93 in. (2362 mm)
Overall Width 34 in. (864 mm)
Overall Height 47.3 in. (1201 mm)
– Laden2 24 in. (610 mm)
– Unladen 26.1 in. (663 mm)
Ground Clearance 5.25 in. (133 mm)
Rake (steering head) 30°
Fork Angle 33.5°
Trail 4.84 in. (123 mm)
Wheelbase 66.5 in. (1689 mm)
Tires (Dunlop® Harley-Davidson® Series, blackwall):
– Front – D402F MH90-21 54H
– Rear – D402 MU85B16 77H
Fuel Capacity 5.0 gal. (18.9 L) (warning light at approximately 1.0 gal.)
Oil Capacity (w/filter) 3.5 qts. (3.3 L)
Transmission Capacity 1.0 qt. (.95 L)
Case Capacity 1.0 qt. (.95 L)
– As Shipped 638.5 lbs. (290 kg)
– In Running Order 682.5 lbs. (310 kg)
– Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 1124 lbs. (510 kg)
– Gross Axle Weight Rating:
– Front 414 lbs. (188 kg)
– Rear 710 lbs. (322 kg)
Battery (per Battery Council International Rating)
Sealed, maintenance-free, 12V, 19-amp/hour, 270 cca
Charging Three-phase, 38-amp system (439W @ 13V, 2000 RPM, 489W max power @ 13V)
Starting 1.2 kW electric with solenoid shift starter motor engagement
Lights (as per country regulation):
– Headlamp (quartz halogen) 55-watt low beam, 60-watt high beam
– Turn Signal Lights 28W (21W) self-canceling
– Rear Tail/Stop/Turn Signal Lights 8W/28W (5W/21W) self-canceling
– Indicator Lamps: High beam, neutral, low oil pressure, turn signals, engine diagnostics, security system7 (optional), 6-speed, low
SERVICE INTERVAL First 1000 miles (1600 km), every 5000 miles (8000 km) thereafter
1 Vehicles depicted may differ from vehicles manufactured and delivered. Specifications and prices listed may differ from specifications and prices of vehicles manufactured and delivered. All product descriptions (including depictions, specifications, dimensions, measurements, ratings and competitive comparisons) are based on available information at the time of publication.
Although such descriptions are believed correct, errors and changes can occur and complete accuracy cannot be guaranteed. Harley-Davidson may make changes at any time to prices and specifications, and may change or discontinue models, without notice and without incurring any obligation. Attention: Vehicles in the configurations shown and many of the accessories described in this catalog may not be available for sale or use in some locations. Please check with your dealer for complete product details and the latest information. All models feature 6-speed transmission (V-Rod® models and Sportster® models are 5-speed) and carbon fiber belt final drive; multi-plate clutch with diaphragm spring in oil bath; and 2-year unlimited mileage warranty.
2 Measurement reflects 180 lb. (81.7 kg) operator weight.
3 Recommended 91 octane or higher fuel (R+M)/2.
4 Standard and optional wheels may vary by country and region.
5 Values shown are nominal. Performance may vary by country and region.
6 The combined fuel economy numbers were derived using a combination of estimated city and highway values. Fuel economy estimates are derived from US EPA exhaust emission certification data on a sample motorcycle from the corresponding family under ideal laboratory conditions. Your actual fuel economy will vary depending on your personal riding habits, road and driving conditions, vehicle condition and maintenance, tire pressure, vehicle configuration (parts and accessories), and vehicle loading (cargo, rider and passenger weight). Break-in mileage may vary.
7 North America security system includes immobilizer; outside North America the security system includes immobilizer and siren.
8 See motorcycle owner’s manual for complete details.